Preparing for a Varicose Vein Evaluation Appointment
If your primary care physician identified a vascular disease (such as spider veins) after an initial evaluation of your legs and feet, they may recommend you to see one of the following vein specialists to address your concerns:
- Vein Specialist – specializes in the treatment of vein conditions (e.g. spider veins and varicose veins). Vein Specialists can come from several specialties: Procedural-based specialties such as Radiology and surgery, but also primary care-based specialties such as Family Practice and Internal Medicine.
- Vascular surgeon – most devote only a portion of their efforts to vein patients. They perform procedures for arterial, venous and lymphatic diseases often in the acute care setting.
- Dermatologist – specializes in skin conditions
Patients who come prepared to their vascular appointment often leave with more satisfying information. Most of their questions or fears are answered and addressed. Please see our preparation tips below to ensure you have a successful appointment.
- Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to complete paperwork. Let us know if you prefer your paperwork be emailed prior to the appointment.
- Wear comfortable and casual clothing that will allow an ultrasound of your legs. We have disposable shorts available should they be needed.
- Bring your medical history and insurance card
- Bring any pertinent test results (e.g. previous Lower Extremity Venous Insufficiency Ultrasound study) and procedure history
- Be able to accurately describe your symptoms
- Aching, burning, itching, heaviness, swelling, restless legs, varicose eczema…
- How long symptoms have been present?
- When and where symptoms occur?
- Severity of your symptoms?
- Bring a list of medications and existing diseases currently under treatment?
- Bring dates and records of any previous vascular surgery
Your ability to describe your medical history accurately will greatly assist your Lakeshore Veins team to evaluate and plan the best treatment for any vascular disease problem. Your physician will do a physical examination and may also order non-invasive vascular lab work to help with further assessment.
The female doctor at Lakeshore Veins has more than 20 years of experience and has several varicose vein treatment options. Our experience crosses the field of Interventional Radiology, specializing in all aspects of vein treatment: Laser and Radiofrequency Ablation (closure) of veins, Microphlebectomy to remove large clusters of varicose veins, and injection treatment of veins — larger varicose veins and smaller unsightly spider veins. We use ultrasound to assess the amount of disease and assist in your treatment. We have the professional experience to understand the difference between leg pain or ulcers that results from arterial vs. venous vs. lymphatic disease. We will create a personalized treatment plan to address your spider veins, varicose veins and other vein disorders. Visit our spa-like atmosphere to discuss your varicose vein treatment options in Milwaukee. Our vein experts at Lakeshore Veins offers a number of minimally invasive, in-office procedures to rid you of your vein pain. Call (262) 241-3999 or Contact Us Online to learn more.