WHAT ARE SPIDER VEINS?
Vein problems cause the vessels to stretch or widen. When the small vessels below the skin widen, they can be more easily seen. The small red or purple vessels below the skin are called spider veins or telangiectasias. These vessels can look like a bruise. They often have no symptoms, but they can itch, burn or bleed.
WHAT CAUSES SPIDER VEINS?
You have a greater chance of having vein problems if you sit or stand all day. Other risk factors include being overweight, not getting enough exercise and leg trauma. Vein problems tend to run in families. Spider veins are very common with over half of Americans over age 40 having them.
HOW CAN I PREVENT SPIDER VEINS?
– Maintain a nomal body weight
– Get moving: Walking is great exercise! Avoid standing or sitting for long periods of time. If you must sit or stand think about moving the calf muscle to pump the blood.
– Wear compression: Compression stockings can be comfortable and look good.
– Elevate your feet: Get your feet above your heart several times a day
– Wear sunscreen: Spider veins will pigment darker with sun exposure